ExakTime Support has moved to Support Central.
This help site will be discontinued in the near future.
How to Track Travel Time for an Employee
When employees are traveling between locations, it may be useful to track how long it takes for them to go from location A to location B.
To accommodate this, we would advise creating a cost code to denote their travel time such as "Travel" or "Drive Time."
When employees need to track their travel time, they would clock in with "Travel" or "Drive Time" cost code. When they arrive at the following location, they would clock in and select a different cost code.
We also have a travel policy that can be used to ensure that an employee's travel time is attributed to the location they are driving to or the location they are driving from. This is done automatically by matching the location for a time record with a travel cost code with
Enabling The Travel Policy
- Go to Manage and click on Policies.
- Click on the policy group to adjust or create a new group. For more information regarding the creation of a new policy group, please refer to the following article: How To Create A New Employee Policy Group
- To the right, enable the Travel policy.
- Specify if the travel time should be attributed to the location they are leaving from, or the location they are driving to.
- Specify the cost code that denotes travel.
- Specify how long the travel cost code must be used before the travel policy applies.
- Click Save when finished.
What Employees Do On ExakTime Mobile
Whenever an employee clocks in, it is best to have them clock in to the location that they are standing at. So when employees are clocking in to begin traveling, they would clock in to their current location and the travel cost code. When they arrive at the following location, they will clock in to their new location and the appropriate cost code.
In the example below, the employee was working at the Acton location and will be traveling to the Calabasas location to continue working.
The overall process will be:
- He clocks in to Acton at the start of this day.
- He will then clock in to Acton and select the "Travel" cost code.
- When he arrives at Calabasas, he will clock in to Calabasas and the appropriate cost code.
- Once he has completed his day, he will clock out by pressing Stop.
How It Appears On ExakTime Connect
Using the example above for the employee clocking in on ExakTime Mobile, his time card will appear like so on Exaktime Connect.
As we can see, the Travel policy has adjusted the location that the employee selected into the following location so the Travel time is associated to the destination. If you try to change the location for the travel time record, the policy system will automatically correct it to ensure that the travel time is associated to the departure or destination location.
- Please Note: The next to the start time indicates that the location data from when the employee clocked in, places them outside the Geofence of the location for the time record. . This is expected as when he started traveling, he was actually at the previous location.